Thursday 5 May 2016

Interviews; Lulu Liu and Jaeha

I prepared for both my interviews; making sure I knew about their background, how many seasons they have been in business, what their style is like and what gives them an edge or makes them special. I also thought out why I would like to intern for them against their competitors. I put together a portfolio of my work to show them.

                                      JAEHA                                         




 Jaeha's silhouettes are very wearable, practical and away from the body yet still flattering. I especially love their play on proportions and use of layering. Jaeha was founded by Jae Kim, an MA graduate from Central Saint Martins who is mainly inspired by abstract art forms.
Lulu Liu




Lulu Liu is a London based designer who graduated from London College of Fashion in 2011 before setting up her own business. I like Lulu's structural silhouettes, the combination of her use of fabrication within a look and her textiles.

I went to Jaeha's studio in Bermondsey for my interview. I thought the interview went well. I talked through my portfolio, my skill set and what I have learnt during my time at Ravensbourne doing BA and Foundation. They asked me why I wanted to work for them and what I liked about their designs.They also wanted to know how my pattern cutting and manufacturing skills were. I told them honestly that I wasn't confident and I just had basic knowledge but that it is something I would like to improve on and that I was willing to learn. They appreciated my honesty but would prefer interns to have a better understanding of pattern cutting and manufacturing.

My interview with Lulu Liu also consisted of a trial day. The interview went well and she asked me to start immediately. She told me that the internship would consist of jobs like researching, design development, designing and collecting fabric samples etc rather than pattern cutting and manufacturing which wasn't done in her studio. Pattern cutting and manufacturing was something that I was keen to learn more about during the work placement brief however the internship sounded like she was willing to give me a lot of responsibility and I would learn a lot from that. Therefore, I accepted to internship placement.  



No comments:

Post a Comment